Meredith E. Dahlen
I am a family law attorney, mediator, and collaborative practitioner. I am also a proud Spartan, Wolverine, and Warrior! I earned my Bachelor's in Social Work from Michigan State University in 2007 and my law degree from Wayne State University Law School in 2010. I went on to earn my Master of Social Work from the University of Michigan in 2011, in the practice method of Social Policy and Evaluation, and the practice area of Children and Youth in Families and Society. While pursuing my MSW, I had the opportunity to assist in starting a specialty court docket called the Baby Court project, promoting stability and expedited reunification or permanency for our youngest children in foster care.
I began my legal career as a staff attorney at the Detroit Center for Family Advocacy (CFA), where I focused on the intersection between child welfare and family law matters. I worked to keep children out of the foster care system, remaining with their families whenever possible, and advocated for children in foster care to be raised in stable, safe environments, surrounded by family or other loving caregivers.
I then went on to work for the State Court Administrative Office, the administrative arm of the Michigan Supreme Court. I worked as a Friend of the Court Bureau Management Analyst, exploring new ways for courts to provide holistic, innovative services to families.
My practice philosophy is to utilize various creative methods of alternative dispute resolution to assist families in reaching resolutions that emphasize efficiency, compromise, and longevity. Whether I am representing one party or acting as a neutral facilitator for both parties, I encourage families to work together, resolving matters outside of the courtroom whenever possible. I believe in empowering families to keep decision-making in their own hands, because no one knows what is best for a family than the family itself.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- Collaborative Process
- Wayne State University Law School, Detroit, Michigan
- J.D. - 2010
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- M.S.W. - 2011
- Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- B.S.W. - 2007
Honors and Awards
- Up & Coming Lawyer, Michigan Lawyers Weekly, 2016
- Selected to the 2018 Michigan Rising Star List from Super Lawyers
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of Michigan, Family Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Children’s Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section
- The Wayne County Family Law Bar Association
- The Collaborative Practice Institute of Michigan
- Detroit Bar Association
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals